I know, I know…I’ve been slacking at my blog. With it being summer and all I’ve been busy entertaining the kids and trying to squeeze in enough time to re-finish some of the finds I collected during spring clean up. I’ve also been creating my HomeGirl facebook page where I am selling my furniture facelifts…I need the room in my “studio” to experiment some more!! I wish I had room in my house to keep all the stuff I made. Some of it will be hard to part with!
So at last some new pictures of what I’ve been working on.
This antique telephone table was really fun to do. I decided to tackle upholstering for my first project because, really, I just wanted to see if I could!! It was a success. I love it that material can add such an emotion to a piece of furniture. I thought this sunny floral pattern added feminine to the masculine style and color of the table.
TIP: I used a can of, dramatically reduced in price, “mistint” paint from my local hardware store and new material from a set of bed sheets I got on sale. WAY cheaper than material by the yard and I find a better selection of colors and patterns.
This was my first attempt at distressing furniture. I am now addicted!! I will probably do this to everything now. Not only is it fun to do, it looks great! It is a lot of work but totally worth it in the end.
1) Wash off coffee stains and other unidentified goo.
2) Lightly sand down entire piece. Focusing on the bits you want to show through the paint, specifically the corners and edges.
3) Wash all the dust off
4) Painted the first layer of paint. I used a minty green that I wanted to show through my second color for a layered look.
5) Painted my second coat of paint in white.
6) Sanded the shit out of it with a medium grit sand paper. This was scary because I didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t want to mess it up!! Truth be told I don’t think you can.
7) Gave it 3 coats of semi-gloss sealant to protect all my hard work.
This itty bitty foot stool took some mighty power to bring it some new life. My original plan was to add some foam and a piece of awesome material I found but couldn’t quite figure out how to do it so that it wouldn’t look like a complete amature job. A failure. So I broke out my first power tool…an orbital sander. I again feel in love. No more sanding by hand for this homegirl anymore!! I sanded all the rough parts, filled it in with pretty pink filler, sanded some more and then slapped several coats of paint on her. I was going to attempt a painted vintage looking number on top but chickened out and opted for a pretty little decal. And finished it of with 3 coats of sealant. For all my troubles with this little thing, I think it turned out pretty darn good!
VINTAGE MIRROR/MEDICINE CABINET
This is one piece I will be sad to say goodbye to but happy to see go because it is one of my favorite pieces. I just think it’s so cool and unique!! The yellow is so fun and so is the chalkboard that I painted inside. I imagine that it would be entertaining to write lovey and silly notes to family members!!
I have only just begun learning painting and distressing techniques and so excited to experiment and create more!! I will share all that I have learned with you along the way!!
I would love to hear what you thought of my pieces and any go-to techniques that you enjoy using.